Are you struggling to find your ideal client on socials?
Instead of taking a hit and miss approach, let’s make your time on socials as efficient and effective as possible. Follow these easy steps and you’ll be connecting with your ideal client on socials in no time!
We all need to start somewhere, and sometimes that somewhere can involve a little bit of brain power and leg work!
It’s unlikely that you’ll fall into the right space and find hundreds of your ideal client hanging out in the one space. It’ll take a little bit of trial and error, but here’s a few practical ideas to get the ball rolling:
- Using keywords, or hashtags they may use to describe themselves: it’s important here that you’re looking for how they describe themselves, and not what they’re looking for (ie you). As an example, my ideal client for my premium service are typically female authors, coaches or consultants in Australia. I might start with #australianauthor or #australiancoach
- Look for Facebook Groups, memberships and communities: I might look for FB Groups and communities that are designed to help authors with marketing their books. (I’m also in the middle of writing a book, so won’t seem weird that I’m lurking )
- Networking events: this isn’t my favourite thing to do, but getting out and meeting people in real life can help you find more of your ideal client simply by asking people where they hang out
Once you’ve found a few places where your ideal client may be on socials, instead of diving straight into selling, take a moment to listen.
- What conversations are they having, and who with?
- What are they talking about?
- What do they think that their problems are?
Now you know what the conversations are centred around, you’re in a much better place to be able to interact with your ideal client on socials. You’ll be armed with intel that others haven’t bothered to collect about their ideal client. A few tips when you’re interacting on socials:
- Always be a respectful community member: follow the rules. Don’t be tempted to promote or slip in a link if it’s not allowed. It shows disrespect which is exactly the opposite of what you’re trying to achieve by connecting with authenticity
- Lead with value: No one loves a direct sell. Really, they don’t. Show you care first by providing value in your comments, posts and connections
- Use genuine comments: don’t copy and paste spammy comments. This was the latest one on my Insta account “Keep shining your light ”. It’s impersonal, has nothing to do with the actual post and screams ‘copy and paste’
- Ask before messaging: Never leap straight into a message. Not only is it presumptuous that the person wants to hear from you, it’s just straight up icky. You’ll get an immediate block and delete from me!
Conversations are a two way street. Asking insightful questions about their problems or helping others explore possible solutions helps connect and nurture your ideal client on socials. Think about creating polls, asking for avatar interviews, posting simple questions or taking conversations offline where appropriate.
Another great way to find your ideal client on socials is to ask your existing clients where they love to hang out, what attracted them to you in the first place and even how they found you.
The last step is to check in to make sure that you are finding and attracting the right people. Because if you’re not, then something needs to change! Either your messaging, your content or your platforms need adjusting.
The easiest way to do this is to check in with your social media insights. It’ll show you the demographics of your audience, which will hopefully match who you want to attract!
The second is to track your engagement analytics. Find out which posts received the best traction or which emails are being opened and clicked through. This will give you great insight as to whether it’s time to cull some of your audience or change up your content.
Finding your ideal client on socials can take a big of effort, but it’ll be well worth it. Having more of the right ideal client in your audience, is much better than a bigger audience of #allthepeople.
If you’re looking for permission to create content in a way that feels good for you, and attract the right clients to grow your business, then come and join us inside The Content Effect. Pop over to the website to see if doors are currently open. Can’t wait to see you on the inside.
Read more from the blog
When you’re feeling uninspired and stuck for content ideas, the mere thought of creating content for your beautiful ideal client can feel hard and...
Imagine having endless content ideas to tap into whenever you’re feeling in the flow! When you have a bank of content ideas ready to go, it takes...
Are you wondering how to choose the best content calendar for your business? There are so many options out there – both paid and free – which can...